I’ve had a varied career since 1990 with multiple roles as a business performance consultant, technical trainer, course developer, team leader, technical writer, web developer, knowledge-base manager, quality trainer, process improvement specialist, technical services advisor, sales executive, and software engineering specialist.
I’ve primarily worked at companies connected to industrial distribution and manufacturing as I prefer these exciting, highly technical and challenging environments that represent the machinery of the world.
Five key positions in my career are listed below.
During times of unemployment, I have picked up freelance work developing websites, writing and editing documents, and managing social media. I spent August of 2010 through November of 2013 as a primary caregiver for my mother.
Concierge Online Presence Management & Business Services, 2016 – Present
Who: Magnetic Voyager, a company I founded
When: On and off since 2010. Started again in earnest in July 2016. Been online since 1988, built my first website in 1996.
What: I manage social media and web presence for solo entrepreneurs, develop new websites, write client-centered marketing plans to strategize online presence, analyze and improve search engine rankings, assist with developing strategic business plans, assist with driving strategic plans to meet goal in key results areas.
- Guiding and coaching a local therapist to hold her first national workshop in November
- Developing two new websites for her business
- Developing and driving her business plan
- Keeping her online presence fresh and current, initiating mailing list automation marketing
Course Developer / Technical Writer, 2013 – 2016
Who: Pratt & Whitney, Employee Training Center (ETC)
When: November 2013 to June 2016
What: Constructed on-the-job and classroom standard work training documents for machine operation, software operation, assembly processes, and quality assurance inspection. Partnered with training coordinators, managers, engineers, mechanics, machinists and other subject matter experts. Analyzed technical and quality operations specifications. Adhered to needs analysis, export control and trade compliance standards.
- Wrote on-the-job (OJT) standard work training manuals for quality assurance inspection and tool & die apprenticeship programs, aftermarket, stators, and hot section business areas.
- Composed a new series of technical theory and application courses, including Gage & Spline Fundamentals, Balance Theory, Solumina Inspection & Operator Record Systems, Surface Treat, etc.
- Overhauled subject matter courses such as Rivet Inspection and Screw Thread Fundamentals.
Senior Account Executive, 2007 – 2010
Who: IKON Office Solutions, later purchased by Ricoh
When: November 2007 to August 2010
What: Delivered solution-oriented sales presentations for product and service sales to prospects. Earned a fast-track promotion to federal sales executive for seven Northeast states. Introduced written training communications to drive team sales. Provided customer loyalty and change agent sales training to fellow team members.
- Strong and sustainable financial gains: grew my telesales territory 37% year over year in business-to-business sales for 2008 and 2009.
- Driver of performance improvement: increased my team’s prospect conversions by 15% year-over-year for 2008 and 2009.
Reservations Sales Agent, 2005 – 2007
Who: The Walt Disney Travel Company
When: May 2005 to October 2007
What: Sold travel packages to prospective guests of The Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, FL and Disneyland Resort Paris in Paris, France. Provided quality assurance training to employees for new consultative sales program initiative. Introduced written training communications to drive Disneyland Resort Paris team sales.
- Served as a resource for core competency skills training.
Corporate Trainer & Senior Business Advisor, 1997 – 2004
Who: Distributor Information Systems Corporation, a specialty industrial distribution ERP software company
When: October 1997 to April 2004
I started at Distributor Information Systems Corporation in August of 1990 and held a progressive set of roles over the fourteen years I was there. I left because the company was purchased by a larger company and most employees were released.
- Engineered synchronous and asynchronous training and consulting on industrial distribution and manufacturing operations to a variety of clients at all levels of each organization. Converted programming code, schematics, and graphics to training materials and learning solutions.
- Specialized in cross-functional enterprise resource planning (ERP) and supply-chain expertise with inventory management, job shop operations, and managerial accounting.
- Served as lead quality assurance trainer on goal-setting, statistical process measurement, cycle time reduction, core competency analysis, team building, systems analysis, ISO 9001 requirements.
- Driver of financial value: my company was able to increase my consulting fees year-over-year by 11% in 1997, 10% in 1998, 9% in 1999, and 8% in 2000.
- Spearheaded new consulting offerings, such as auditing financial statements, reengineering business processes, developing best practices, capturing cost-reduction strategies, and change agent process implementation.
- Led test case and training development for legacy software conversion project.
- Pioneered web-based training and consulting solutions for our customer base.